Friday, December 3, 2010

WHo am i?????

SLIGHT IDENTITY CRISIS:

Not really.

But I remember 7 YEARS AGO! Feels like just yesterday, when I Moved to America.

I mean, Living Nigeria till I was 13yrs old, if you had asked what it means to be Nigerian, I woulda been like, um, I UNNO.

But when you live in an extremely Heterogeneous society, it forces you to identify yourself one way or another. In high school a decision had to be made, Be the MAMA Africa type person who randomly wears Nigerian clothes and speaks "NIGERIAN" (that cracks me up so much, like American and Mexican are also languages, smh @ignorant people)
OR

EVOLVE: Be the OVERLY americanized Nigerian and reINVENT myself.

Well, being the RANDOMO that I am, I flirted with both options and chose the third option. DO BOTH!
MAintain my Nigerian Identity (soon as I discover what that means) AND Adapt into the new environment that I reside in.

I also had to learn that my TRUE identity canNOT come from an ethnic group or nationality rather my Father, and Im not speaking of Mr Shittu, Rather, the Creator of the UNiverse.


Anyway, Its been 7yrs now, and people RANDOMLY realize I have an accent, or that I dont have an accent, or that I have a british accent. I can effectively communicate the Nigerian "story" and identity before any group of people. But SOMETIMES i cant help feeling that maybe I am too americanized, which is alway dependent on who I am around.

OH well. I still enjoy eating JOllof rice SOMEtimes. I mostly like cooking CHicken, and Pasta dishes. So, unless I specifically tell you Im cooking Nigerian food, Im prolly not!

No comments:

Post a Comment